What you can expect in the college interview.
Most college and university admissions departments conduct an interview as a way to learn more about you. They may compare you with the types of students already enrolled to confirm you would fit in and be happy at the school. The university may also want to know how your interests, abilities and goals align with their program offerings. An interview is a great opportunity for you to make an impression and stand out.
Here's a list of some of the college interview questions to help you better prepare and feel comfortable during the interview.
Questions about your high school experience.
- How would you describe your high school?
- What would your teachers say is your greatest strength and weakness both as an individual and as a student?
- What would you say was your role within your high school community?
- How would others describe your role in your high school community?
- What courses did you enjoy the most?
- What courses were the most challenging/difficult for you?
- Do you like your teachers?
- Describe your favorite teacher.
Questions about your interests and activities.
- What personal traits would you like to see yourself build in the next four years?
- What articles and/or books have you read in the last year that have special meaning for you and why?
- Do you have any hobbies or special interests?
- In your life, what experiences have been most important to you?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
- Describe a challenge you've had and how you overcame it.
- How did you spend last summer?
- What do you do in your spare time?
- What do you do with any money that you earn?
- Have you ever been a volunteer?
- What questions do you have for the interviewer?
Questions about attending this college.
- Why do you want to attend this college/university?
- Why should we (the college) accept you for admission?
- What is your career goal and how would a degree from this college help you achieve that goal?
- What qualities make you a good choice to attend this college?
- What other colleges are you considering?
- What interests you the most about this school?
Knowing what questions the interviewers might ask isn't the only thing you should know before the interview, check out these college interview tips
Lastly, remember to be yourself. If you're truly interested in the college be sure your enthusiasm shows. And, after your interview don't forget to say thank you.